The club committee met yesterday (Monday 9 September 2019) for an update on planned events, activities, etc. Here’s a summary of the main points:
- Memorial Plot: The committee agreed to fund a small memorial garden plot in Barwick for one of its former members who died recently. Frank Noble was a prominent member during the club’s early days, while other family members were also active for several years (the club even has two of its competitive events named after Frank’s son, Jonathan, who died some years ago).
- TT Evening League: The club will continue to support the Thursday Evening League time trial events that six local cycling clubs participate in (Alba Rosa, Cyclesense, Seacroft Wheelers, Valley Striders, Wetherby Wheelers and Yorkshire Road Club). Elaine Kelly will be assisted by other committee members to help reduce the workload.
- Training & Development: The club plans to invite several regular and senior ride leaders to participate in a short training course (paid for by the club). This is an investment in our members and in our regular activities. The participants will subsequently be able to cascade the knowledge and guidance they receive down to other leaders, with a view to repeating the exercise again in the future (including for off-road cycling).
- Weekend Away: The idea of a weekend away on the east coast (riding out one day, and back the next) was backed at the meeting. Martin Clough has kindly offered to lead on the arrangements for this. The first bank holiday in May is tentatively pencilled in for this.
- Finances: Finances remain strong, and the club is in a good position going forward. A budget has been set for the next financial year, in order that the committee can successfully map planned expenditure against events and activities.
- Membership: Seacroft Wheelers currently has 132 paid-up members. This is almost identical to last year. 82% are male; 2 are under-18; 18 new members have joined/re-joined this year. The average number of Sunday riders is 26. Current membership fees will continue into next year.
- Club Equipment: Committee members are to carry out a stock-take of the club’s equipment, to review what needs renewing/replacing. Items are needed for use at competitive events, promotion, etc and kept in private storage.