Seacroft Wheelers Cycling Club – Committee Meeting (17 Feb 2020)
Report back to members
Club members met again in February to discuss plans for 2020, review membership figures and finances and consider other activities that might be of interest to cyclists in the future.
- The committee is to review its policy on how best to accommodate junior riders, as there is currently a lack of clarity and a distinction between those under 16 and those 16-18.
- Sub-groups – or ‘working groups’ – from the membership are to be utilised on an as required basis to explore issues and topics that cannot be accommodated within regular meetings. Examples might include ways to bring in new members (especially females), future aims and objectives and possible social events.
- It is hoped that member engagement may increase in the future, particularly in the form of online polls and consultations.
- Agreement has been reached with Cycling UK to provide a day’s training for several Sunday ride leaders (as initiated in September). A venue has been sourced (for the classroom-part of the learning), and a suitable date is under discussion.
- Feedback on the club’s annual awards dinner in January was positive. The speaker, Mike Tomlinson, had waived his right to a fee, and this will be split and evenly donated to the club’s two nominated charities, Brain Tumour Research & Support Across Yorkshire, and the June Hancock Mesothelioma Research Fund.
- The competitive side of the club’s activities remain ‘on track’ to appeal to a wide range of riders, with events like the annual road race (29 March), time trial evening league (from April) and cyclo-cross all ready on the start-line.
- Seacroft Wheelers was also represented at a recent British Cycling (BC) Regional Workshop when several cycling clubs were consulted on how they would like BC to operate more successfully within Yorkshire in the future.
It was the first committee gathering since the club’s annual meeting in January 2020. A list of club officials and representatives can be found on the website – https://www.seacroftwheelers.co.uk/contact-us-feedback/